A Finding Aid Finished

Some shameless self-promotion is in order after all this time away from my blog; at the very least, I need to prove that I’ve been doing something productive.  I finished processing my collection at my internship, and the finding aid is now online.  It’s DACS-compliant and encoded in EAD, and I wrote it according to a basic template in Oxygen XML.

Working with EAD (and XML, and Oxygen) for the first time was great.   I haven’t taken the class on it yet, and wish we went over encoding at all in my Intro to Archives class, but alas, I was thrown into the process.  My supervisor was always there to help, but I found EAD to be quite intuitive and learned a lot by just using the program.  My collection is quite small, so I know it well and had time to put a great deal of thought and care into descriptions and subject terms.  I also needed to update and expand upon the MARC record, which involved a manual, Aleph software, and a lot of trial-and-error.

I’m immensely proud of this.  My internship was the highlight of the semester, and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to process a collection from start to finish (not all of my classmates got to do this).  I’m sad to see this experience come to an end, but am also ready for the next challenge.  This summer, the challenge will be working in corporate records management – stay tuned.

If you would like to see the MARC record for my collection with a link to the finding aid, click here.  You can also view a slightly less pretty version of the finding aid on its own here.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s